Skip to main content

Mother's Oatmeal Bread and Honey Butter


This bread recipe has become a staple in the Wieda house. I have taught many people how to make bread with this simple recipe. If you are looking for a good food storage recipe, this is one to add to your pile. Most of the ingredients are stored on your shelves in your pantry, except the butter. I make a honey butter, which recipe I will include, that makes the warm bread irresistible. My kids always look forward to the next morning because I make french toast with the leftover bread! Everyone who has been given this recipe has loved it, I hope this will become one of your family favorites as well.

Mother's Oatmeal Bread
from My-Recipe.com
Ingredients:

1 cup quick oats
2 cups boiling water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, melted
4-5 cups flour

Directions:

In large bowl, add 2 cups boiling water to 1 cup oatmeal; let stand 1/2 hour. Sprinkle yeast into water, stir to dissolve. To rolled oats, add honey, salt, butter and dissolved yeast. Mix well. Gradually add flour, until dough is just slightly sticking to your finger when touched. Return to buttered bowl, cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Divide into 2 portions. Shape into loaves and place in greased 9x5 loaf pans. Let rise about 30-40 minutes, bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Remove from pans and enjoy!

Honey Butter
from The Essential Mormon Cookbook

1 cup butter
1 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, honey and vanilla together for about 3 minutes. Enjoy a little piece of heaven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!