Skip to main content

Mulligatawny Soup


Apparently there are a lot of Mulligatawny soups out there, but I had never heard of it. This is a veggie, chicken and rice soup, with a bit of curry and a sweet crunch of green apple. I know the combinations sounds strange, but believe me, the flavor is unbelievable. Mike wasn't feeling so well this week, so I decided to try something other than my classic chicken noodle soup, it was a hot with everyone in my family. This has become my new favorite soup. Give it a try, its perfect for a cold winter day with a slice of oatmeal bread or garlic knots on the side. Enjoy!!






Mulligatawny Soup
adapted from http://www.melskitchencafe.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 cup chopped carrots, about 3 large carrots, peeled
1 cup thinly chopped celery, about 3 stalks
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon curry powder (add more if you please)
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
½ Granny Smith or other tart apple, cored, peeled and chopped
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups cooked, diced chicken, about 2 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup half and half

I cooked the chicken the following way: (this is optional)

Add to a large zip lock bag:

1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Sage
1 tsp Rosemary
1 tsp Thyme

Mix ingredients above in bag, add raw chicken, coat well. Bake in oven on 350 degrees for 20 or until done. Cut into small bit size pieces and add to the soup when recipe calls for it. I thought it made a difference in the flavor and moister of the chicken.

In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat until rippling and hot. Add the onion, carrots and celery, and cook, stirring often, until they are slightly softened, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the flour and curry and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the broth until well combined and bring the soup to a simmer. Cook at a low simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes. Add the chopped apple, water,rice, chicken, salt, thyme, and pepper. Simmer 8-10 minutes longer, stirring every now and then to prevent sticking, until the vegetables are tender. Add the cream, warm the soup through, and serve.

Serves 6-8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!