Skip to main content

Steel Cut Oats with Apples and Cinnamon

I am always on the hunt for good breakfast recipes I can do during the week.  I try really hard to make healthy breakfast foods to start the kids off with.  I came across this yesterday and made it for the kids this morning.  I was in love with it!
 It does take 30 minutes to cook, but while it cooked I made their lunches, so it all worked out.  Instead of water, I boiled the steel oats in apple cider, which went nicely with the apples and cinnamon on top.  I then added vanilla almond milk to the bowl which made the whole dish divine, but you could add yogurt and just milk.  Great hearty, healthy breakfast the kids and husbands in your life!


Steel Cut Oats
adapted from Sophistimom

2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water or apple cider
pinch of salt
milk
cream
sugar
cinnamon apples (recipe follows)

1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in oats and stir frequently until oats get a bit toasted (When you can smell them cooking, then they’re toasted). Pour in water or apple cider and bring to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil, add in the salt and reduce heat to a very low simmer.
2. Simmer the oats for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. If the water evaporates to quickly, you can add more as you go along. Pour into bowls and top with vanilla almond milk, milk, cream, sugar, and the cinnamon apples.

Cinnamon Apples

This recipe is designed as a single serving. Double and triple the recipe to your heart’s content.
1/2 small apple
1 teaspoon butter
pinch ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons granulated or brown sugar
Peel and cut the apple into very small pieces. Place in a microwave safe dish and top with butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!