Skip to main content

Giant Rainbow Cookies

Something about these cookies reminds me of childhood, which is why I decided to make these spur of the moment with my daughter.  Brynlee and I had a great time baking together, and she did a great job taste testing the M&M's.  Had to make sure they were still good :)  It took a few tests, but she deemed them good and helped dump them into the mixture.  Not only were these fun to make, but they were good too!  They were slightly crispy around the edges and chewy on the inside. Nice and sweet, but not too rich.  Perfect with tall glass of milk.



Giant Rainbow Cookies
from How Sweet It Is


Makes 18 large or 36 small cookies

1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) of salted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup mini m&m’s (or something else that you love)
2 cups + 2 TBSP all-purpose flour


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the butter and sugars until they are combined (and look like the first picture above). Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Gradually add flour and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold in the m&m’s.
Divide the dough how you choose (1/4 cup portions for 18 large cookies or 2 tablespoon portions for 36 smaller cookies). Shape each portion into a ball with your hands then pull each ball into two equal pieces. Turn each half so that the rough side of the half (what used to be the inside of the ball) faces upwards and then squish both halves together. Place the dough rough-side up on a baking sheets. If you’re doing large cookies, I’d leave about 2 inches in between each.
Bake for 12-15 minutes (large cookies) or 8-12 minutes (small cookies) or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers should be
soft and puffy. Do not over bake. Let cool completely then dig in!
Note: to melt the butter I simply microwaved it, and to let it cool I allowed it to sit for about 10 minutes.
ETA: a few readers have told me that this is the same recipe as Cooks Illustrated chocolate chip cookie recipe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!