Skip to main content

Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup


     I am so happy to welcome fall this past week!  Not only do I love the fall colors, but I am soooo happy to finally have some cooler weather.  This summer has been so unbearable with the high temperatures and the state on fire, I am ready for fall.  Plus with cooler weather means a change in menu as well.  I start making more soups and homemade bread and less grilling.  Here is the new one for my recipe book.  I'm sure many of you know Cafe Rio and Cafe Mexicali.  I have mentioned before that I can eat Mexican food everyday if Mike would go for it.  Unfortunately, he likes Mexican food, but not as much as I do.  Well this one Mike really liked, thank goodness.  This soup in a combination of recipes from Cafe Rio and Cafe Mexicali.
    At Cafe Mexicali they make this Tortilla Soup, but they add a scoop of creamy habanero sauce, which makes the soup heavenly.  Now, you may make the soup and omit the creamy sauce if you so desire, but you should at some time give it a try.  The creamy habanero sauce can also be used as a topping for smothered burritos, which is what I do when we go out there for dinner.  For all you whole love Mexican food as much as I do, enjoy this dish!!



Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup
http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com

Ingredients
1 onion, diced
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 tsp cumin
a dash (or two) cayenne
1/2 tsp. chili powder
5 c. chicken broth
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
pepper, to taste
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
1 Tbsp. paprika
vegetable oil
pico de gallo
Creamy Habanero Sauce (see below for recipe)
2-3 avocados, diced
2 c. pepper jack cheese
tortilla strips
cilantro (for garnish)
lime wedges (for garnish)

Instructions
In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
Transfer seasoned onions to a small crock pot (or medium-sized saucepan). Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours.
In the meantime (when you are close to serving), combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture. Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through (try to turn only once during the grilling process). Remove from grill and shred.
In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo, 1/3 c. diced avocado, and 1/3 c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.

Creamy Habanero Sauce
adapted from www. letsdishrecipes.blogspot.com

3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 habanero pepper (I only used half because my family is not into spicy)
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup chicken broth
salt to taste
1 can mild green chili sauce

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Slice habanero in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.  Add half of the habanero and the minced garlic to the pan.  Saute 1-2 minutes to release the flavors of the pepper.  Stir in the flour and continue cooking for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Whisk in heavy cream.  Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, until the cream is thick and bubbly.  Reduce heat and stir in the chicken broth.  Season with salt, to taste.  Add the can of chili sauce.  Remove habanero pepper from sauce before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!