Skip to main content

Hawaiian Grilled Chicken

Since this chicken came into our lives, we have had it for many happy dinners.  I can't claim that every member of my family loves, or even likes, every meal I make, but this is an exception.  There are no complaints with this chicken.  So flavorful! I started out making this recipe with chicken breasts, but have since started making it with chicken thighs which are even more tender and juicy.  Either one works though.  You need to try this out before grilling season is over! I love to serve this with grilled pineapple and coconut rice (see note).  Such a perfect Summer meal! 






Hawaiian Grilled Chicken

from Mel's Kitchen Cafe


INGREDIENTS

2-3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
1 cup pineapple juice (I blend up chunks of fresh pineapple for this)
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce 
2/3 cup brown sugar, light or dark
1 tablespoon freshly grated or finely minced ginger (ginger powder works in a pinch)
6 cloves garlic, finely minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)

INSTRUCTIONS

Place the chicken thighs in a shallow dish or in a gallon-size ziploc bag.
Whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and garlic until the brown sugar is dissolved (or mostly dissolved). Pour half of the marinade over the chicken in the bag so the chicken is evenly coated. Seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.
Refrigerate the remaining marinade until the chicken is ready to be grilled.
Preheat grill to medium- or medium-high (I use 400 degrees on my pellet grill).
Bring the refrigerated reserved marinade to a simmer in a small saucepan on the stove. Simmer for 5-10 minutes (the longer it simmers the more reduced and slightly thickened it will be).
Place the chicken on the preheated grill (discard the marinade in the bag/dish) and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F at the thickest part, about 7-8 minutes per side. During the last 3-4 minutes of cooking, baste the chicken liberally with the simmered sauce/marinade.
Serve the cooked chicken with the warm marinade (to be drizzled over - it's especially yummy if serving this chicken with cilantro lime rice or coconut rice).

Note:  For the coconut rice, I combine 1 cup brown rice with 1 can coconut milk and 3/4 cup chicken broth.  I cook it in the Instant Pot on manual 24 minutes then let it sit on low for another 45 min.  It comes out fluffy, creamy, and delicious!  If you don't have an instant pot you could make it on the stove just subbing coconut milk for broth.  

 

Comments

Kristi said…
This chicken is wonderful!
Pam said…
It’s one of our favorites as well!

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!