Skip to main content

Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

My husband Aaron celebrated a birthday recently!  He isn't a huge cake fan- I know, crazy right?  Typically he just wants his favorite chocolate chip cookies, but this time he said he would be okay with a Chocolate Bundt cake.  After some searching, I came across this copycat Nothing Bundt Cake recipe.  I'm not sure it was exactly the same, but it was pretty delicious! Danny said it was like a dream (haha!) and was not happy at all when I tossed the remaining cake after a few days.  






Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

Cake:

1 box super moist Devil's Food Cake 
3.4 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
4 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips ( I used milk chocolate)

Frosting:

12 oz cream cheese softened
1/2 cup butter softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 TBSP sour cream

Instructions

Mix first six ingredients together in a mixer or with beaters. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into a greased (I used a generous layer of coconut oil and cocoa powder) bunt cake pan . Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven. Let cool for 20 minutes.

Place a plate on top  of the bundt pan, grab the plate and pan together and quickly flip it over onto the plate.  Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.

Also, I leveled the top of the cake off so it would look nicer on the cake stand, but you don't have to.  

Make frosting by creaming butter and cream cheese together until very creamy and light in color.  gradually start adding in powdered sugar and vanilla until a nice thick consistency is achieved.  

To make the cream cheese stripes, first fit a piping bag, or ziplock back with a small corner cut off, with a large round frosting tip.  If you don't have one, you can just use the ziplock bag.  Starting at the outside of the cake, pipe the frosting into the center.  I found that it helped to scrape the top of the tip after each stripe to ensure a nicely rounded end.  You can also go back after the frosting has hardened a little and very gently pat any pointy parts.  Once all the stripes are in place, add a few circles around the center of the cake (the inside part) and use an offset spatula or butter knife to smooth that part.  Finish with one nice circle around the top inside part.

Optional: decorate with a tissue ball and banner 

Note: I ended up with more frosting than I needed so I just put the extra in a ziplock bag and then into the freezer for another time :).  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys!