Skip to main content

               A homemade tomato sauce that does not require you to spend the entire day blanching and peeling pounds of tomatoes.  This is a creamy, easy and delicious way to use all of those home grown tomatoes you have this year.  Canned or frozen, the taste of summer tomatoes can last year around.

      When I am ready to use it for spaghetti sauce, I add a pinch of sugar, some butter and spices to make an amazing sauce.  Is there anything better than fresh sauce on a cold January day? This is now my favorite sauce to make with roma tomatoes.


Homemade Roma Tomato Sauce

5 pounds tomatoes- Cut into 1-2 inch pieces

1 tsp salt

1 tsp pepper

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp onion power

1/4 cup olive oil


Add tomatoes to a large pot.  Add salt and pepper and stir.  Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat.  Boil for 20 minutes, stirring often.  As they cook, the tomatoes will break down and liquid will form.  

After 20 minutes, add the olive oil, minced garlic and onion powder and stir.  

Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Using a blender, blend tomatoes to desired thickness.  

Use immediately or store for later use, either freezing or canning.  I froze 2 1/2 cups of sauce per quart size bags to use in recipes later.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys! 

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip