Skip to main content

Glazed Lemon Loaf Cake

Ever since getting a slice of Lemon Cake from Starbucks a few years back I have been on a quest to find a good copycat recipe.  I've tried several and they were all fine, but this cake is officially the winner.  My search is over! I seriously could not imagine a more perfect lemon cake.  

Lemon flavor shines throughout the cake, but the real punch of flavor comes from the delectable glaze. The cake itself is so moist yet fluffy and tender at the same time. 

It's like a ray of sunshine on a cold winter's day! 

Glazed Lemon Loaf Cake

modified slightly from I am Baker

Ingredients

Lemon Cake
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces sour cream, room temperature
2 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1-2 teaspoons lemon extract*
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Lemon Glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Instructions

Lemon Cake
Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pan. Or, line with parchment paper. 
In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add eggs, sugar, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lemon extract and beat until creamy. Slowly drizzle in oil.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined. (Some lumps are okay.)
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes* or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs.
Allow the cake to cool on a rack for about 15-20 minutes.  

Lemon Glaze
In a medium bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and whisk until smooth.
Pour the glaze over the cooled cake and serve.

Notes:
* I subbed some lemon essential oil for the lemon extract.  When using oils (make sure they are edible), sub 1/8 tsp for every 1 tsp of extract.  
* Keep an eye on the cake as the time gets close to being up.  My cake was perfect at 49 min! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding (Re-post with a picture )

Does this dessert sound familiar to you?  I originally posted it last Summer, but didn't have a picture at the time.  I'm excited to be able to post this picture now so you can see how yummy it looks!  I first had this pudding at a BBQ last Summer.  One bite and I was hooked.  This fabulous pudding sits on top of a layer of bananas and is sandwiched between two delicious cookies. Does it get any better than that?  Banana pudding didn't used to be something I craved, but it definitely is now.  It is Heavenly!  Also, it's very easy to make.  So try it out sometime.  I bet you'll become a banana pudding fan too.

Brown Butter Caramel Snickerdoodles

If you try one new cookie recipe this Fall, let it be this one!! I'm not kidding when I say that this is  one of the best cookies I've ever made.  They've already received rave reviews and comments such as, "Amazing!", and "Incredible!"  These are not your average snickerdoodle, not that I have anything against the traditional ones, they are made with browned butter and extra brown sugar for a rich caramel taste.  But wait, it also has a caramel center! And of course that classic chewy texture with a cinnamon/sugar coating.  I could eat these every single day. They are SO GOOD you guys! 

Royal Icing for Sugar Cookies

While I love my Scrumptious Sugar Cookie frosting , Royal Icing is the way to go for decorated cookies that harden enough to stack and package. It definitely takes more time and patience, but the end result is so satisfying! You can make such fun cookies without having to worry about the frosting coming off.  Royal Icing can get super hard, and while this is perfect for building Gingerbread Houses, it’s not so great when you want to actually eat the cookie. Not to worry though- adding in a little corn syrup helps the icing dry firm without being overly hard.  I also like to add in my favorite butter vanilla emulsion to make the icing extra yummy, cause at the end of the day it’s not enough to just look pretty!  There are a few different ways to make Royal Icing. My favorite method is using Meringue Powder. If you can’t find this or don’t want to buy it, you can use egg whites instead. Or, if you’re in a pinch you can make some with just powdered sugar and water. You can find some recip